Monday, September 19, 2011

Love at first cry

We checked in at the hospital somewhere around 10:00 pm. My doctor arrived and let us know that if we wanted to wait another hour we would deliver around midnight and get to stay an extra day in the hospital - yes, please! Super nice of her, considering she had to wait around before getting to go home again. Have I mentioned that I love my doctor?

About to pop!
On the way to the hospital we called my parents, and my mom must have had her own "go bag," because they made it from Tyler to Dallas (a 2 hour trip) in about an hour and a half from the time of the phone call. J's parents met us there too, and picked up our furry babies to keep for us. Some excited grandparents, midnight at Margot Perot :) Jenn, Luke, and Sami also came up that night - what great friends!! 

Gigi, Poppy, Honey, & Papa

Because our babies were vertex/breech, we had planned a c-section. I was a little upset at first, because I had always planned to deliver naturally with (hopefully) no drugs, just like my mom had done with me. But in the end I will do whatever is safest for the babies. In hindsight, it was the way to go - longer time in the hospital, which was amazing. Other than the first couple of days of healing (which was really awful) my pain was minimal. We had incredible nurses and care, and the staff was really helpful. Our five days together in the hospital room was so wonderful. It was like we were in a little bubble, just the four of us, with nothing else to worry about or think about; it was 24/7 baby time. I was on cloud nine; I loved it. Dual kangaroo/skin-to-skin time was my absolute favorite.

So, around 11:45, following my epidural (the part I was most scared about, and ended up being cake), they wheeled me into the room and J soon followed. Benjamin Asher was delivered at 12:01 and Jackson Thomas at 12:03. I already loved them, but was not prepared for the onslaught of emotions when they arrived. The moment I heard Ben's first cry, I lost it. Tears were streaming down my face - he was here and he sounded so healthy! Then came Jack's, and I lost it all over again! J got to hold them first, and he let me see them - they were both so beautiful. Holding them in my arms was so surreal; there's nothing else like holding your child in your arms for the first time - except maybe holding them both at once!

Ben: 6 lb.s 7 oz & Jack 5 lb.s 8 oz
Angels!

Brothers :)
So tiny!

Proud Papa
Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs