Jack recently decided that sharing is no fun. He "talks" to let me know he's upset with multiple syllables with different inflections, like he's really complaining. SO cute.
Not so cute is when he gets mad at Ben for taking a toy or getting in his space. He will "attack" by grabbing Ben's head and trying to bite (putting his open mouth on Ben's head) or by hitting his arms at his brother. Fortunately for us, Benny is a happy little guy who is unperturbed by both his brother's attack and having his toys taken away.
I feel like a bad mother for even getting the pictures I have - poor Ben! At first it was sort of funny, but then we realized Jack wasn't just in a mood, he was learning a (naughty) behavior. So we tried disciplining Jack by squeezing his hand (he laughed) and saying "NO" firmly ("mom, you're hilarious") to no avail. Instead, I used my awesome behavioral training skills and began anticipating the antecedents (Ben taking Jack's toy, Ben crawling over Jack) to intervene at that point with Jack. Actually, it's what any mom would do, but how fun for me that I get to pretend I'm still using my education by putting behavioral terms to our activities. :) I miss work, but I am so in love with my new "job."
I will say that Jack is getting better already. Which is good, because happy-go-lucky Benny decided he was tired of being "Jack attacked." Here, Jack started out hitting at Ben and making him sad, but then he started smiling at him. I like to think he was trying to cheer him up in apology :)
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment