Saturday, May 24, 2014

Dear Ben: 3 years

Dear Ben,

Yesterday you were sick with a high fever and couldn't even keep water down - it was so scary! I hate when my babies are sick, and you have always seemed to have more difficulty with feeling ill than your brother. It seems to affect you more, so it's especially difficult to see my happy, funny boy feeling so puny and bad. Although you are definitely a "daddy's boy" right now, I got to take you to the doctor for a late night appointment, and you let me hold you the whole time and carry you in/out. I don't get to hold you very often these days, and last night it really struck me at how big you are getting. I can't believe you are already 3 years old! While we were waiting, I asked if you wanted me to sing you a song, and you whispered "yes," then when I asked if you wanted to hear "Baby Mine," you whispered "yes" again, and it brought tears to my eyes. I don't know how much longer you will want me to sing you our baby songs, but I hope we have a few years left. Maybe until high school? Maybe not :)

You are such a sweet, happy dude with such a fun personality. You are an active little boy with a big imagination and a loving heart. You love giving hugs and kisses, and are very serious about it, too - I love when you close your eyes to lean in to give a kiss, and you are a cuddle-bug. My sweet baby boy! You are always so busy, and either smiling or laughing, so it's striking when you are feeling sick and get so quiet. Right now you are into trains (that's an ongoing love) and building with tinker toys, and you also love puzzles and reading books. You are very proud of knowing your ABC's, and you are a smart little man. You are a little artist, and you enjoy coloring but really love painting. You also love anything outdoors - going to the park, playing in the water, playing in the back yard, riding bikes, kicking balls, etc etc. You are not, however, a fan of sunscreen, which makes our outdoor play a challenge sometimes! You are a fairly good eater and will eat almost every veggie I give you, with the exception of carrots. I'm sure that will change. You're not as adventurous with fruits, but neither was I as a child, so it's probably my fault. Your favorite food is COOKIES! Actually, it's usually a pretty good bribe at getting you to eat the rest of your dinner. I wonder if that will always work as a bribe? Make good grades and I'll give you a cookie, make your curfew and I'll give you a cookie. Just kidding, I have no doubt that you will grow up to be such a good boy that no bribes, cookies or otherwise, will be needed. :)

Benny, you are so loving, and you are so loved. You are such a handsome boy! I love your squinty-eyed, full teeth smile and your sweet little voice and even your mischievous grin. You do make some mischief, but you have an accomplice for that. I love to hear you sing, and you enjoy doing the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse dance, and know all the characters' different moves, too.  You love to help and you love "activities," so I try to accommodate you as often as possible. When you are involved in something, you can become so focused to the point of becoming oblivious to others and your surroundings. More than once you have looked up to find that someone else has joined the room or activity and asked them how or when they got there. We think that's so funny! I hope that your single-mindedness and focus and determination takes you far in life, and although I need you to slow down a little, I am looking forward to watching you grow up and seeing where life takes you. You bring me so much joy; I love you so much!!

XOXO,
Mommy

Benny at the Dr - sitting so patiently!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs