They are rarely still, and sometimes I feel like I have to "convince" them (by first tossing them around/rough-housing) to snuggle with me for some face-time or silly games - it's like they think I'm holding them hostage if I snatch them up for a cuddle or to talk with them - they want to be moving! When I do get to hold them and really look at them while we talk, it's pretty special. I love running my fingers through their hair - Ben's hair is longer than Jack's now - and touching their soft still-baby-skin. I am forever stealing a cheek stroke or taking deep breaths of their little baby necks after baths (the smell really doesn't last long with toddler boys...sigh) or smothering them with kisses. I love the way they offer their cheek when you ask for a kiss, or turn with pursed lips when you ask them more adamantly for a kiss :) I love when they say "HI mama!" in the mornings and "Bye-bye, Mama" when I drop them off at school. I love nibbling their little toes and hearing them giggle (and Jack, between laughs, "No, Mama") and feeling their tiny sweet hands in mine. They are the best, they are my little gifts from God, and I love them more and more every day. To borrow a quote from the Hands Free Revolution blog, they are the best part of every day, and I want to remember to every day notice their beauty, listen to their clever thoughts, and absorb their joy.
Here are a couple of pictures from their actual birthday dinner out - we went to the Macaroni Grill, because Ben & Jack love spaghetti!

And this is Ben at the Dr's office for their 2-year check-up. He got a little carried away with the stickers :)
Ben at 2 years old:
Height: 35.5" (75th percentile) - we think this is a little off, as we measure them at the same length at home, and they have consistently been around the 50-60th percentile for height.
Weight: 26 lb.s 4 oz (25th percentile)
Head circumference: 19" (30th percentile) - also, when do they stop measuring this?!
Diaper size: Still 4s - same as last year!
Clothing size: 2t, 6.5 wide shoes
Favorite foods: Bananas, apples, squeezy packs, raisins, goldfish, papas fritas, crackers
Favorite song: Ben sings ABC's, hot cross buns, and their good morning song
Favorite book: Any of the "Cat-in-the-Haaat" books (Dr. Seuss, PD Eastman), Thomas the Train books
Favorite color: Blue ("Bwoo")
Favorite t.v. show: Dinosaur Train
Favorite movie: Veggie Tales!
Favorite toy: Trains
*Talking so much, speaking in sentences, and answering questions. Their receptive language is CRAZY! They follow directions well and can express quite a bit, too. Ben likes to say "I need more X please mama" and a favorite - "No poo-poo" when he doesn't want his diaper changed (which is never), and "Read book" or "oh, no!" when a train track is broken, and the other day he answered me when I asked what he did at school "I played"
*Ben loves to be chased, and will run from you giggling when it's time to eat or time to leave. Frustrating, but cute.
*Ben gets very focused when playing and will crawl up on his train table to move his trains around.
*Ben looooves to read; it's the first thing he does when he gets up in the morning and he would read and read and read at night, whereas Jack reads a bit and then is sleepy and ready for bed. I love watching him flip through books.
*Ben loves music and moves his feet really fast when he is dancing. He almost-gallops when he is jumping, although he can jump with both feet.
*He is in an independent stage right now and doesn't like being interrupted when he is playing (i.e., to leave or change diapers or get ready for bed)
*He sometimes bites Jack when they are fighting over a toy, but apologizes and gives him a hug afterwards. We are crossing our fingers that he is done with the biting phase and thankful that it has been only his brother!
*Ben is a sweet, happy, easy-going baby, and when he sees Jack being rascally, he will jump in with a sideways smile or cut his eyes away, too.
Jack at 2 years old:
Height: 34.6" (50th percentile) - we think this is a little off, as we measure them at the same length at home, and they have consistently been around the 50-60th percentile for height.
Weight: 25 lb.s 4 oz (15th percentile)
Head circumference: 19" (30th percentile) - also, when do they stop measuring this?!
Diaper size: Still 4s - same as last year!
Clothing size: 2t, 6.5 shoes
Favorite foods: Bananas, apples, squeezy packs, goldfish, papas fritas, crackers, chips!
Favorite song: ABC's, and their good morning song - Jack is more of a dancer than a singer - you should see him move to the Daniel Tiger theme song :)
Favorite book: Any train book
Favorite color: Yellow ("Yewwow")
Favorite t.v. show: Dinosaur Train
Favorite movie: Veggie Tales!
Favorite toy: Trains
*Talking more and more, speaking in sentences, and definitely letting us know what's on his mind. He tells me "No home" when we pull into the driveway b/c he wants to go to the park/etc. Jack also likes to say "No mo-ore" in a sing-song voice, or "all done/not all done" or "uh-oh, mama" when a train track is broken, or "'Scuu-me, mama" (very polite), or "Time to eat" when he's hungry - and when Jack is ready to eat, he lets you know. The very next day after Ben answered this Q, Jack answered me when I asked what he did at school "I read books." Not to be outdone, of course.
*Jack is my little mama's boy and if I am moving around doing laundry or walking around the house, he will often come find me and hold my hand, saying "mamaaa" sadly.
*Both boys sleep a solid 11 hours or so at night, and take 1.5-3 hour naps
*Jack loves to dance, and loves music, and he is a good jumper
*He is a rascal and will often catch your eye and then "huh-huh" chuckle to himself and cut his eyes away
*When upset (i.e., when getting his diaper changed), Jack will "bah" at us (like we do at the dogs) - it's hilarious, but I'm trying to teach him to say "I'm mad" instead (he responds "No mad. Bah!"). :)
*Jack is a sweet, cuddle-bug right now and gives lots of hugs! He is a big helper, and loves to help with the laundry or pouring/stirring dinner, or put things away.
My favorite part of this age is how close they are becoming. When one wakes up from a nap early, the other can't wait to go "wake up brother" once he is actually already awake. When I pick them up from school, Jack is always the first to notice and greet me, then immediately turns to make sure Ben is coming too. They have started telling each other goodnight and giving hugs, which is just the sweetest thing ever. When one of them gets out a new toy the other joins (those rascally boys know where I keep the "special" toys in boxes and have figured out how to get them down, carry them to the carpet, and open them!). When one of them is upset or in time-out (which is mostly for inappropriate table behavior, like throwing food down, shaking milk out or shaking their plate instead of eating), the other watches and frequently looks back at whomever is crying or in time out. They have patted each other on the back when one is crying/hurt, and brought each other toys to comfort (mostly during diaper changes, one will bring the other a train). Jack often goes to get Ben for meals - "Beeh - time-a eat." And they will initiate games with one another (like taking turns doing something, running around the house) and hug-tackle each other. I love that they are best friends and I love watching them play together. Sometimes they fight over preferred toys, but the vast majority of their day is positive play with one another. I LOVE these baby boys and this is such a fun age where their little personalities are really starting to shine. Seriously, luckiest mama ever, right here :)
Lord, thank you for these precious baby boys. Thank you for making me a mother, and thank you for their funny little personalities and their sweet spirits. As they are growing up, I pray that I will never forget what it feels like to hold their little bodies against mine, to feel their soft hands in mine, or their sweet baby smell as I give them kisses. You have blessed me beyond imagination with this little family, and I pray that you bless their lives also. Lord, thank you for their health, their independence, their curiosity, and their joy. Please give me the wisdom to parent my sweet little loves, and help me to teach them to know and love you.
And the child continued to grow and become strong, increasing in wisdom; and the grace of God was upon him.
-Luke 2:40



No comments:
Post a Comment