Day 22 we did the Aromatherapy Box, from www.nurturestore.co.uk. I basically gathered a few items around the house and put them in a box then let the boys smell them. It was cute watching them mimic me smelling things. I included a spice jar, vanilla extract, daddy's aftershave, some kool-aid-dyed rice (mmm - stay tuned for day 23!), etc.
Day 23 was colored rice sensory play, from www.playathomemom3.blogspot.com. I was super pumped about this one, because it's aaalmost like sand. Have I mentioned how ready I am for our sand tray? We did just order a giant pirate ship sandbox for the backyard, but that's another post. So anyway, I colored the rice two ways. One was with kool-aid to give it a fun smell. But the kool-aid was only available in a couple of colors and not as bright, so I also colored some with the alcohol and food coloring method. I wouldn't recommend the latter - it made the rice smell like alcohol, but worse, it gave the rice a film that stayed on your hands after playing with it. I gave the boys a shovel and scoops and they went to town and had a good time. This was a fun activity!
Day 24 was Color in a Bag, from www.no1hasmorefun.blogspot.com. Oh dear. I am cringing as I'm writing this, and I berate myself every time I think about this incident. I put some paint into a ziploc and taped it on the back door window. The boys were playing and I tried to go outside to get a picture of them from the outside looking in. I was trying to shut the door quickly so that Jack didn't follow me to the porch steps and accidentally shut Ben's pinky finger in the door. I don't really even remember it registering, just the panic I felt as I rushed back in to get him. He didn't start wailing until I had picked him up, and I think I was wailing along with him on the inside. I frantically called Carol, and she calmed me down and told me what to do. Ben was absolutely fine a few minutes later, though his finger was swollen and bruised for a couple of days. I do have to commend Jack, because he dutifully followed me around while I got an ice pack for Ben then followed us all the way back to their room and played on his own while I was comforting sweet Benny. Oh, my good sweet boys. I hate that I did that to him, but lesson learned - no need to rush, there's always time for safety precautions. So yeah, this activity was sort of abruptly ended.
Day 25 was Baked Cotton Balls, from www.playcreateexplore.com. The point of this activity was to give them cotton balls covered in a colored flour/water mixture, then baked, and let them crack/pull them apart. It's actually kind of neat to break them open and pull apart the cotton, but this activity was a bust. They just weren't that interested even after I broke a few for them and pulled them apart to get started. I'm thinking that in a couple of years when they can dip the cotton balls into the flour mixture and bake them, then break them, this activity will be more successful. So we'll try again later :)
Day 26 was a Sorting Game, from BabyCenter. I put a bunch of different items into a muffin tin (poker chips, fuzzy balls, glitter tubes, dice, etc.) and let the boys try sorting. While they didn't necessarily sort by color, they did sort by item some, which I thought was impressive! The poker chips were the winner of today's items - they loved to slide them together and scratch the sides and listen to them drop into the muffin tin. Ben was also pretty intrigued by pulling apart the cotton balls. Today he was, not the day before, when he had a whole mess of them. Oh well. Both of the boys are so into putting things places and taking things out right now (I seriously need to baby-proof their drawers - I probably re-fold laundry 8 times a day because they think it's fun to pull out shirts from their drawers. And look at me and smile as they do it after I tell them no. Sigh.). This was a great activity! They loooove anything that's not really a baby toy, so it's always fun to watch them explore new items and for them to think that they are getting something really cool. Ohhhh my goodness I love them so much!! Look at those sweet smiling faces!
1 week ago





No comments:
Post a Comment