Friday, March 2, 2012

Activities 12-16

Day 12 we did Cardboard Box drop, from www.clickpraylove.com. We used a diaper box and dropped small items through the hole on the bottom. After the boys finished drumming, they did a great job pushing toys through the hole! Jack was really into this activity, long after Ben moved on :) Ben was doing a great job standing today.


Day 13 we did water beads from www.playathomemom3.blogspot.com. How cool are water beads? I'm fairly certain I was more excited about this than the boys were. We don't have a light table, so I tried using the iPad2 with the flashlight function underneath our dish of water beads, which worked pretty well. The boys were fascinated by these, but I think their ball pit skills took over; Ben was trying to spread the water beads around by waving his arms through the dish and Jack was spreading them around with his hands. It was pretty funny, and I didn't mind, until the boys started moving around on our sheet and squishing the balls with their hands and knees. These are supposedly non-toxic, but I still didn't want squished up water beads all over the place and possibly ingested. So the water beads went away, at least until Ben & Jack are able to observe boundaries and guidelines for exploratory play. Great sensory activity, though, and the boys were really interested in feeling them at first.


Day 14 was from the same site, and was sensory exploration with tinsel. We did it in a baby pool instead of the pack-n-play, since we kept the ball pit up. (I couldn't take it down - the boys love it!) I ought to just call this day "baby pool play," since the boys both bailed after I put in the tinsel. For whatever reason they were not into the tinsel. Ben warmed up to it and would get back in and pick up / feel the tinsel, but Jack stayed on the outside. After I put away all the tinsel, the boys had a blast with the baby pool! They loved climbing in and out, and Jack would crawl around, flip around, etc. He also frequently flipped it over himself and crawled around like a turtle - unintended, I think, although he would laugh when I took it off.



Day 15 was supposed to be cardboard box tunnel day. I am a cardboard box tunnel failure - couldn't make the sides stay up. I don't think I have a big enough box. Anyway, problem solved because I just ordered an inexpensive plastic tunnel. This one was great! Ben was a little unsure of going through at first, but Jack forged ahead and Ben followed suit. They had a good time looking at each other through the tunnel and peeking around to play peek-a-boo. Fun times!


Day 16 we did shoebox fun, idea from one of my books, Creative Resources for Infants and Toddlers. The idea was to let them open boxes, stack the boxes, put items inside (working on object permanence) and pour items in/out. They loved this one! Right now the boys are really into stacking, so getting to open the boxes and stack them and put the lids back on was their favorite thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs