My Dad used to tell me that the greatest thing he ever did for me was marry my mother. Boys, that's the exact way I feel about your Dad. He is the best gift I could ever give you :) I always knew that Jonathan would be a wonderful father, but it has been such a blessing to watch him with you and see how really involved he is. He has been hands-on from day one. Now, he would probably say that's because he had no choice, as there were two of you! But I have also heard him say "Thank goodness there's two so we don't argue over who gets to hold them at night." :)
Changing diapers, wiping up baby spit-up/vomit/etc, feeding you bottles and cereal, washing bottles, even giving your after-bath massage - your dad does it all. He also rocks you before bed, rocks you back to sleep if you wake up, and gives you lots of hugs and kisses. I have never seen him get frustrated, even when you wake up wanting to play at midnight and refuse to go right back to sleep. :)
The best part is seeing how in love he is with his babies - in his words, he is smitten. He can't wait to get home at night to see you and love on you. I think he is your favorite playmate, too, as I'm pretty sure you save your biggest smiles for him. I can't wait to see my boys grow up and become best friends with their dad.
Children are a heritage from the Lord, entrusted to us parents but belonging to God. Years ago, we participated in a nearly married bible study and studied Debinski's Excellent Marriage book, which touches on parenting. According to Debinski, there are seven biblical principles that guide us as parents:
1. Teach (Deuteronomy 6:7): Your dad will lead by example and teach you to become men. He is patient and wise, and will nurture your faith. He says he'll be the parent who will help you with your science homework, too ;)
2. Train (Proverbs 22:6): By example, your dad will show you how to treat others with kindness, and impart values and morals throughout your life. He is a good man, a wonderful spouse, and an amazing father.
3. Provide (2 Corinthians 12:14): Your dad is an excellent provider, and works hard to support his family. He will listen to you, be involved in your lives, encourage you, and ensure you have a solid support group to provide emotional and spiritual guidance.
4. Nurture (Ephesians 6:4): By following the scriptures, your dad will teach you right from wrong, and will maintain a loving, caring relationship with his boys.
5. Control (1 Timothy 3:4): Although discipline may not be one of his better strengths (!), I know your dad will be consistent and involved in your lives.
6. Love (Titus 2:4): Easy! He loves you so much, and that love just continues to grow. By showing kindness to one another, helping one another, spending time together, and filling the home with laughter, you will always know love.
7. Discipline (Proverbs 3:11-12): Your dad likes to joke that this is not his strong suit. But we know that loving parents correct their children and provide guidance. Your dad will show wisdom in his discipline (his last name is Solomon, after all!) and will help you to learn right from wrong.
You are two very lucky little boys to have your Dad, and I am especially lucky to have all three of you!
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment