Jack has discovered his bellybutton, and he doesn't like it one little bit. We're not sure why he finds it to be frightning, but after he looks at it he whimpers and wants to be held and won't let you put him down. The only other thing he's ever shown fear of is the dogs barking close to him (when someone opens the door or knocks). He has also been scared of the bath for the last week or so, but in hindsight we think it's because he has to see his bellybutton. In turn, he made his brother scared of the bath, but if I bathe Ben first, he's fine. So I'm trying a little exposure therapy and trying to point out our bellybuttons fairly often - we look at his bellybutton, Ben's bellybutton, Mommy's bellybutton, Daddy's bellybutton, and we read the Bellybutton Book! I think he's getting better, because he still whimpers a little but doesn't hold out his arms to be held. I am hopeful that this goes away soon. It's the funniest thing, and I don't know where it came from! Here are a couple of pics from today of the boys checking out their little bellybuttons. I love how they lift up their little shirts to see their round little bellies!




 |
| I love "angry Jack's" face here. He was deciding if he was going to be scared or not. |
 |
| I love Ben's look of surprise: Oh? I have a bellybutton too! |
 |
| Jack: Here, I'll show you. |
 |
| Just like mine :) |
Update: Great-Aunt Sheri & Honey came to visit today, and Jack's bellybutton fascination/fear continued. Aunt Sheri offered to show Jack her bellybutton too, and then Ben & Jack wanted to lift her shirt to see it again. So funny! So to recap, in addition to Mommy & Daddy, the boys saw Nanny Mercedes' bellybutton today, Great-Aunt Sheri's & Honey's, and Aunt Lauren's. Bath time did go much better tonight!! Just a little hesitation to sit down and a lot of checking on that bellybutton, but the introduction of a shovel in the bathtub helped. Thanks everyone for helping out with our exposure therapy - I think it worked!
No comments:
Post a Comment