Friday, February 24, 2012

Activity Challenge Days 7-11

Day 7 we did a couch cushion obstacle course. Because the boys have been sick and missed Little Gym, I thought this would be a good substitution for today. They had a lot of fun! I did have a box tunnel, which didn't work out too well, seeing as how the boys thought it was fun to beat their hands on it and topple it over. They had a good time climbing over the cushions and following each other around, though.  :)


Day 8 we did Utility Paper Exploration, idea from www.playcreateexplore.com, off Pinterest. Most of my website ideas are all from Pinterest :)  I figured this would be well-received, since the boys enjoy tearing tissue paper. This one involved tissue paper, parchment paper, foil, saran wrap, and wax paper. They loved it! As usual, waving the paper around is fun, as well as trying to rip it and squash it. They weren't quite sure what to make of the saran wrap, and kept trying to tear it apart to no avail. Another activity that held their interest for a good while!


Day 9 we did finger painting with colored cool whip, this time in the bathtub to cut down on mess. This idea is from www.clickpraylove.com. I figured the boys would LOVE this one, since they love being in the bathtub so much. Alas, they did not really get into it and just kept trying to get out of the tub. Jonathan called this my "Activity Fail." I guess you can't win 'em all - maybe this will be better received when they are a little bit older.


Day 10 was dry oatmeal play, from www.playathomemom3.blogspot.com. Love this website! This was a good sensory activity. Once again, Benny was a little apprehensive - he would tentatively feel the oatmeal, then look at his hand, then look in the box. So funny! Jack, of course, dove right in; he liked to sweep his hand across and throw out some of the oatmeal. I think they liked the digging toys I put in the box better than the oatmeal itself. We had to keep the measuring spoons out a few days after this. Oh boys, wait until I put together my play therapy sand tray for you. We'll have some Jurassic sand, a sand sifter and scoop...what fun! Counting the days until they're old enough, but Jonathan is not too far off the mark when he says the sand tray may be more for me than for them. ;)


Finally, our fun Day 11 activity was the ball pit; idea from www.rookiemoms.com. I almost got this one out last week, I was so excited, but I wanted to wait until these colds were mostly gone so I didn't have to disinfect all of these balls. Luckily we have no fevers today, very little drainage, and just a few coughs. They loved this! At first they were stationary, just moving the balls around and kicking their feet. As they became more comfortable, they moved all around, climbed over one another, and stood up on the sides. Benny liked to try to gather as many balls as he could in his arms at once. Jack was more into kicking his legs and scooping the balls to one side. So much laughter during this activity! If only our house was a little bigger; I would leave this out all the time! Maybe it will be a fun Friday activity for us each week. :)

*Update: I did leave this out for a while and the boys loved it! The longer it was out the more new games they discovered. Jack discovered he could fall backwards into the ball pit. He started from a sitting position, then would slowly fall backwards, then he would pull up on the sides and fall backwards into the balls. He thought that was so funny! Ben would mimic him from the outside and lift his arms over his head and lean backwards in the bouncer when Jack would fall. :) Ben discovered that he could sort of "swim" in the balls and would sprawl across and bury himself in them. So cute. Then both boys discovered the magic of throwing balls out of the ball pit, which they thought was hilarious. Not as cute. Sadly the allure of the ball pit seems to have waned, so we will likely be taking it down this week but will stick with my original plan of putting it up occasionally. 

Peek-a-boo, Jack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs