This post would be way cooler if I had a picture of "The Great Camp-Out" but, alas, I have none. I still had to post to commemorate our Mother's Day Out quest. I've been researching nearby MDO programs for a couple of months; behind getting the rest of my CEUs and renewing my license, MDO was my biggest project of 2012!
It was a little bit exhausting, keeping track of recommendations from friends and neighbors and moms on the twin mom forum, then looking up different programs and setting up tours, etc, etc. Some wouldn't even accept our age - most you need to be 18 months by September (our boys will turn 18 months 9/21), and others you had to be 3 years. Some of the stricter programs maintained that the child must be 18 months by 9/1, so they were ruled out. The first one we went to was our nearby CDC at the Skillman Church of Christ, and WOW were we impressed. Can I just say that childcare has changed tremendously in the years since I was in college and worked in that field. We saw 3-yr-olds in the middle of a cooking lesson, and 4-yr-olds in a spanish class. Beyond the advanced curriculum, we really liked the director and the school just had a positive vibe. More than I can say of a couple of the others (even well-recommended ones) that I toured. So I decided we should put all of our eggs in this one basket and just commit to camping out to secure 2 spots for the fall MDO.
Last year I can remember seeing a news story about a man who camped out in the middle of the bad ice/snowstorm we had for this CDC registration, despite everything in Dallas being shut down and not knowing if registration would still occur. So I figured we (read: Jonathan) would camp out and everything would be fine. Um, wrong. I happened (PTL) to go to the park the afternoon before registration and saw the crowded parking lot and tents already set up. A little panicking occurred, and I called J to get there asap and strolled the boys over to put our name on the list. We were #28 in what ended up being a list of 77 parents applying for next year. I heard that last year the first 30 got spots, so I was feeling okay about it, but the director told us that she put classes together based on needs, so if all the other kids were way older than ours, or if there were already a ton of boys ahead of us and they needed girls, we could still be in trouble.
Jonathan and Godfather Luke (the world's greatest godfather) camped out overnight. They said it was a party-like atmosphere, with parents drinking, smoking, and playing poker - crazy! They decided to forgo putting the tent up and slept in folding chairs. The things they will do for our little guys! Two days later we got the call that we were on the class roster. Yea! The best part is that we are set through preschool and won't have to go through this again any time soon.
Sweet boys, you are not even a year old yet and already we are going to great lengths to attempt to provide you with the best education. You are so loved - also, your dad is right, and I am a total type A, sorry :) I will also admit that I am already looking forward to having two days a week to do the grocery shopping, keep up with my doctor/dentist appointments, maybe work out (maybe), and plan our activities. I will have so much more time for planning activities! :)
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment