Lauren came over and we got ready to go to the hospital. I really hated to leave the boys, because they had been sick and I didn't want them to be worried in the morning when we weren't there. Lauren stayed until my parents arrived, after they visited us in the hospital.
I labored for about 7 hours, and really only the last couple were painful. By 4:00, Dr. Hagood (who, once again, was fortunately on call for us!!) came by to check on me, and I was 90% effaced and 3 cm dilated, with contractions about 6 minutes apart. I was definitely progressing! However, baby girl had not dropped and was "sunny-side up," so Dr. H cautioned me that although she could drop and turn, there was a chance of me laboring for several more hours and then having a c-section anyway. Because she was completely face up, with all four limbs pressing on my belly (we had nurse after nurse after nurse come in to move the fetal monitor around because she kept pushing it off and moving around so much), there was little chance of her turning completely around for birth. So Jonathan and I discussed and decided on a repeat c-section after all. I think the pain of the contractions helped me put aside my desires for a VBAC! Honestly, I didn't want to be selfish either way, which is why it is so nice to have a partner to share in these big decisions :)
So they wheeled me into the delivery room around 5, gave me the epidural, and then Jonathan joined for the big event. It was funny, although there was only 1 to deliver this time, it seemed like the process took longer than last time. It didn't; I think I was only "open" for about 15 minutes, but there were fewer babies to distract us during the "closing" part! It did feel like we were waiting and waiting, and when I heard her little cry, I cried too. Claire's cries were almost like squeals or grunts at first, but she definitely has a strong set of lungs, and she cried almost the entire time we were in that room until they handed her to us. When Dr. H brought her around, Claire had a strong grip on her surgical gown! Incidentally, she loves to hold onto fingers. She is so precious.
Her Apgar scores were 9, and we were so grateful she was healthy. She never had any trouble with jaundice and the first couple of days she did great with breastfeeding. The third day, however, she screamed (like she was in pain) for most of the day and then suddenly stopped latching. Jonathan and I were worried that this meant she might be colicky or gassy, and I had no idea what it meant for feeding. I was pumping and trying to trick her with a syringe of milk to get her to latch, and I even gave in and tried to give her a bottle of formula, which she spit up completely. On our last day, I requested another visit with lactation, and a different lactation consultant came by - literally our last hour in the hospital. She got Claire to latch immediately! I was amazed, but held my breath when we got home to see if it would continue. Fortunately it has, and she is a great little eater! What a huge relief! I so (so, so, so) did not want to pump and bottle-feed again, and I don't think I would have had the time for that again, either. I think she just got hungry and my milk hadn't come in yet, but by the last day it had. So we are very glad that worked out. I will also say that I have never been so tired as I was on Thursday - up 36+ hours plus labor plus surgery and painkillers made me SO sleepy!!
![]() |
| Clockwise: Honey, Poppy, Papa, Gigi |

I enjoyed the time in the hospital and am thankful Jonathan Solomon sprang for the deluxe suite! His intention was to give us room for the boys when they came to visit, as we had hoped to spend most of the hospital time there together, but they ended up being sick all week :( They did get to come with their daddy & Papa on the last day to meet their sister and take us home!
Claire is a beautiful baby, and so very sweet. I love getting to cuddle her and do skin-to-skin and sleep with her on my chest. All things that I had to limit with the boys - either to spend equal time with both, or out of survival, because any time I had when they were sleeping I was busy or sleeping myself. It's very different this time, because I know what to expect, there is only one, and the whole feeding thing is so much simpler. With the boys, I nursed, then fed bottles, then pumped to get the hindmilk that they weren't strong enough to get. Claire is doing great! At her 1-week check up, she was almost back to birthweight, at 8 lbs. 1 oz (60%), her length was 20.75 in (90%) and her head circumference was 14 in. (90%).

I am so in love with this baby girl. I can't get enough of her sweet smell, her soft, fuzzy hair (she has so much hair!!), stroking her chubby cheeks, and letting her tiny hand hold my finger. I love her little grunts and baby sounds (totally forgot about those!) and the way she stretches in her sleep when her tummy is full. I love when she is alert, she just looks around the room quietly, and she is such a good little baby. She only cries when she's hungry :) My mom always said it's funny how you can love another baby even when you feel you're bursting with love for the others, and it's so true - I am so in love with her and could just gaze at her and touch her for hours. I'm not the only one, either, her daddy is totally smitten! And her brothers love her, too! That's a whole different post, so I will save J&B&C stories for another day!
| Just home! Took the same picture with the boys in this chair when we brought them home!! Same tired mama, too :) |
Children are a blessing from the Lord; the fruit of the womb a reward. - Psalms 127:3










I can't get over how beautiful Baby Claire is!!!
ReplyDelete