Monday, October 7, 2013

Grandma Carolyn

My wonderful grandmother, Carolyn Dean, passed away last week. I may come back later and blog some of the details of the last two weeks, but in short, it was unexpected and we were sad to lose such an important part of (my) our lives. I think one of the things we have talked about most was what a presence she was, and how odd it is for her not to be there. I am most sad for my mom and Pawpaw, of course, and can only think about how you are never ready to lose someone you love.

I have thought about her so many times over the past two weeks, and it's funny what your mind remembers. I remember how much she loved music and used to play the piano for us and sing hymns. My favorite that she played/sang was "His Eye is on the Sparrow," and my mom said that was Grandma's favorite and her mother's favorite. I haven't thought about that in years. I can remember how good Grandma always smelled, and how when we would visit in the summers I used to love using her shower so that I could sample all of her expensive and pretty-smelling shower gels and body lotions. I can remember how when I would complain about my skin breaking out, she would tell me someday I would be grateful, because it would mean less wrinkles as I aged. I can remember how she made anything look good when she was eating it, and especially loved to watch her eat fruit. Isn't that weird? She would laugh at me when I said something about that. I can remember hugging her and saying how comfortable it was to relax against her, and she would say it was because she had "a little extra." Most of all, I think you remember how someone made you feel, and I always felt safe and loved around my grandmother, and I will miss her.

These are a couple of my favorite pictures from last summer.



“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.”  - John 14:1-4 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs